Certainly! I can provide you with information on obtaining a Canada visa for Japanese citizens. Please note that the information provided here is based on the knowledge cutoff of September 2021, and it’s always a good idea to double-check with the official Canadian government sources for the most up-to-date information.

If you are a citizen of Japan and you plan to visit Canada for tourism, business, or to visit family or friends, you will generally need a visa to enter the country. However, there is an exemption for Japanese citizens who hold an ePassport and are traveling to Canada for tourism, business, or transit purposes. Japanese citizens can apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) instead of a visa.

An eTA is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to Canada by air. It is a quick and convenient online process that grants permission to enter Canada for short-term stays. To apply for an eTA as a Japanese citizen, you will need to follow these steps:

  1. Check your eligibility: Confirm that you hold a valid Japanese passport and that your purpose of travel falls within the permitted categories for an eTA (tourism, business, or transit).
  2. Gather the required documents: You will need your passport, a valid email address, and a credit or debit card to pay the eTA application fee.
  3. Complete the online application: Visit the official Government of Canada website ( and complete the online eTA application form. Provide accurate and truthful information.
  4. Pay the application fee: Pay the eTA application fee using a valid credit or debit card. The fee is generally payable at the time of submitting the application.
  5. Receive your eTA: Once your application is approved, you will receive your eTA electronically. It is electronically linked to your passport and will be valid for multiple entries into Canada for up to five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

It’s important to note that the eTA is only applicable for air travel to Canada. If you plan to enter Canada by land or sea, you may need to apply for a visa. Additionally, the eTA is not suitable for longer stays or for purposes such as work or study. In such cases, you would need to apply for the appropriate visa or permit.

For the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding visa requirements and travel authorization for Japanese citizens, it’s advisable to visit the official website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) at

If you have any specific questions or need further assistance, it may be helpful to contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate in Japan or consult with a qualified immigration lawyer or registered immigration consultant who can provide personalized advice based on your specific circumstances.

You May Also Like

About the Author: John David

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *